Oil Studies of Whangarei New Zealand.








--> Here are some pics of Oil Studies I have created from my last trip to New Zealand. Some of these are available for sale through my SHOP on my website or you can click the link!

I often start larger works by creating basic composition drawings and small oil sketches. I do this to better understand my subject matter, and to search out what is working. By doing the work up front, and diving into a composition, it helps you to understand what you are looking at and make better decisions for larger works.
Studies are painted quicker than larger works, and often are intentionally limited in information. Oil Studies often feel fresh, as they are not over detailed. An Oil Study offers the painter a breakdown of the basic building blocks of shape, light and color being arranged, and they are VERY useful. 

Some of these Oil Studies will become larger more detailed works and are really enjoyable to paint- Mark